“DO NOT INGEST WARNING”
Those four words, all in capitals, were supposed to be sent out to every home affected by the Sandy water crisis on Feb. 8, when the city first warned residents in fifty homes that their water supply may be tainted with what we now know was a toxic level of fluoride.
But the letter that Sandy City sent out that day didn’t say “DO NOT INGEST”; nor did it contain the warning, included in the DEQ’s draft, that would have told residents that the contaminated water could corrode their pipes.
So far, Sandy City has taken most of the blame for this decision.
New evidence uncovered by KSL through GRAMA, Utah’s public records law, however, shows that members of the DEQ and the Salt Lake County Health Department were sent copies of the changed notice, with “DO NOT INGEST” removed, before it was finalized.